To travel to Macau, you can choose a gourmet route, you can choose a beautiful route, and today I will share with you a route to appreciate the beauty of the building.
Let’s experience a special romance in this lovely multicultural vicinity where you’ll see beautiful urban space with charming Portuguese and Chinese buildings and their enchanting stories.
The Ruins of St. Paul’s refer to the facade of what was originally the Church of Mater Dei built in 1602-1640, destroyed by fire in 1835, and the ruins of St. Paul’s College, which stood adjacent to the Church. As a whole, the old Church of Mater Dei, St. Paul’s College and Mount Fortress were all Jesuit constructions and formed what can be perceived as the Macao’s “acropolis”. Close by, the archaeological remains of the old College of St. Paul stand witness to what was the first western-style university in the Far East, with an elaborate academic programme. Nowadays, the facade of the Ruins of St. Paul’s functions symbolically as an altar to the city.
Address : Company of Jesus Square
Opening Hours : Museum of Sacred Art and Crypt: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily (except Tuesday afternoon), no admission after 5:30 p.m. (Tuesdays: closed after 2 p.m. Open as usual on public holidays). Ruins of St Paul’s: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., no admission after 5:30 p.m.
2.Section of the Old City Walls
This surviving segment of the city’s defence structures, built as early as 1569, is a remnant of an early Portuguese tradition of constructing defensive walls around their port settlements, done also in Africa and India. In Macao, this section bears testimony to the incorporation of local techniques and materials, especially a solid compound named chunambo, an elaborate mixture of clay, soil, sand, rice straw, crushed rocks and oyster shells compacted in successive layers.
3.Na Tcha Temple
Built in 1888, this temple is dedicated to the worship of Na Tcha. This small traditional Chinese temple stands close to the remains of the principal Jesuit enterprise of the region, presenting a dialectic of western and Chinese ideals, as one of the best examples of Macao’s multicultural identity and religious freedom.
Address : No. 6 Calçada de S. Paulo (next to Ruins of St. Paul’s)
Opening Hours :
Na Tcha Temple: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Na Tcha Exhibition Room: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., no admission after 5.30 p.m. (Closed on Wednesdays, open on public holidays)
4.The Na Tcha Exhibition Room
The time-honoured Na Tcha Customs and Beliefs of Macao, having been passed down from generation to generation, were inscribed on the National Intangible Cultural Heritage List in 2014. To manifest the diversity of Macao’s culture, and contribute to the long-standing safeguarding and sustainable transmission of Na Tcha Customs and Beliefs, the ‘Na Tcha Exhibition Hall’ was unveiled in 2012. Choreographed by the Cultural Affair Bureau and supported by the Na Tcha Temple Association and residents nearby, this initiative enabled locals and visitors to grasp the festivities, history and customs related and dedicated to this Deity.
The exhibition room in Na Tcha Temple, a construction that brings together the traditional and the modern, has a total area of around 70 m2. This room presents the legend of Na Tcha and its festivities and exhibits several objects used in the celebration of the deity’s birthday, such as religious incense burners, couplets, objects used in religious processions, like the Sedan-Chair of Na Tcha, the ceremonial umbrella, lion heads, and also firecrackers for the religious festivities, among others. Furthermore, the Cultural Affairs Bureau has created a video about Na Tcha’s festivities and has compiled, on an eBook format, photographs of commemorative activities in honour of this deity taken during the last decades, allowing the visitors to witness the history and the evolution of these traditions. The exhibition showcases eight drawings explaining the origins of Na Tcha’s legend in a didactic way, being the work of a local popular cartoonist, named Ah-Cheng. Through these objects, the visitors can better understand the meaning of the Na Tcha beliefs and traditions, as well as experience the festive atmosphere of its celebrations. Also exhibited in this space are artifacts and construction remains found during archaeological excavations, believed to have belonged to the western wing of the Church of Mater Dei.
Address : Pátio do Espinho n.º 6, Macao
Opening Hours : 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (No admission after 5:30 p.m.) Closed on Wednesdays, open on public holidays.
Fees : Free Admission
Tel : +853 8399 6699
E-mail : WebMaster.MH@icm.gov.mo
Website : www.icm.gov.mo/en/NaTcha
Remarks Visitor capacity: The Exhibition Room can accommodate a maximum of 20 visitors at any one time.
This small little lane looks no different from many other lanes found in Macao but its specialty lies in its name, Travessa da Paixão. The Portuguese word “Paixão” means passion and love. Originally it expresses catholic passion to the God but due to the mistranslation, Travessa da Paixão becomes Love Lane. Nowadays, the lane becomes an ideal place for dating, wedding photo shooting, as well as scene of some TV series and films. The Cinematheque ・Passion is a three-storey building equipped with ticket office, screening room, control room and film information room. It holds different thematic film or “Director-in-Focus” programmes, and plays two to three films which are premiered in Macao from different parts of the world every month.
Opening Hours : Cinematheque ・Passion: Ticket office 10:00-23:30, film information room 10:00-20:00. Closes on Mondays, opens during public holidays.
6.Macau Ho’s Clan Association
**Conservation of Macau Ho’s Clan Association is in progress
The Hall was built by Macau Ho’s Clan Association with the objective of uniting people of its clan for mutual benefit. The construction can be traced back to 1955, when local community leader and businessman Ho Yin was the chairperson of the fifth board of directors. He denoted a large sum of money to build this Hall, which later became a venue where members of the association gathered and worshiped their ancestors.
7.Pátio da Eterna Felicidade
Located within the buffer zone of the Historic Centre of Macao and adjacent to the Ruins of St. Paul’s and St. Anthony’s Church, the place is rich in historical and cultural context that forms a unique urban vibrancy and reflect the living of Chinese community in the bygone days. Due to the cultural significance of the Hall, the government negotiates with the Kiang Wu Hospital Charitable Association, the property owner, and reach a consensus to preserve the complex and renovate it for re-use purposes in the future.
8.St. Anthony’s Church
First built of bamboo and wood before 1560, this is one of the oldest churches in Macao, also marking the site where the Jesuits set up their earliest headquarters in the city. The church was reconstructed in stone several times, while the present appearance and scale of the church dates back to 1930. Previously, members of the Portuguese community would hold wedding ceremonies there, so giving rise to the Chinese name of Fa Vong Tong (Church of Flowers).
Address : Santo António Square
Opening Hours : 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
In the 18th century this hilly, heavily wooded garden formed part of the grounds of the house which was occupied by the Chairman of the British East India Company, known as Casa Garden, which now houses an art gallery, and the Old Protestant Cemetery, filled with walkways, flowering trees, and old headstones marking the graves of merchants, missionaries, and others from foreign lands who made their home in Macao.
In 1835 the British moved out and the Portuguese owner had a grotto built around a bust of Portugal’s national poet, Luís de Camões.The present bronze bust was installed in 1886 when the grotto became state property. Behind the grotto, paths lead up to a wooded hill with a Chinese pavilion and stone tables and stools, where local men gather to play Chinese chess. In front of the grotto is a spacious garden, with benches shaded by banyan trees, where people bring their caged birds for an outing, do their morning tai chi exercises, or meet with friends. At the entrance of the garden is a fountain that contains a bronze sculpture entitled “Embrace”, specially made to symbolize the centuries’ old friendship between Portugal and China.
Address : Praça de Luís de Camões, Macau
Opening Hours : 6 a.m. – 12 p.m.
This house was built in 1770 and was originally the residence of a wealthy Portuguese merchant, Manuel Pereira. At a later period it was rented out to the East India Company. Nowadays the property is the headquarters of the Oriental Foundation.
Address : Beside Camões Square
Opening Hours : Gallery: 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. (closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public Holidays); Garden: 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
This site provides an insight into Macao’s diverse community profile. Located close to the Casa Garden, the Protestant Cemetery provides a comprehensive record of the earliest Protestant community of Macao. Together with the site, the chapel was built in 1821, which is now referred to as “the Morrison Chapel” in honour of Robert Morrison (1782-1834). George Chinnery (1774-1852) an important British China-trade artist is also buried at the site, alongside various other prominent figures of the time, including several officials from the East India Company, and Protestants from the United States and Britain.
Address : Beside Casa Garden
Opening Hours : 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
12.Tou Tei Temple in Sam Pa Mun
Tou Tei, the God of Earth in ancient myths, is a popular deity in Macao. The Temple has almost three hundreds years of history. The inscriptions of the Temple indicate the year of establishment can be traced back to the years of the reign of Emperor Tongzhi or Guangxu and the construction was financially supported by local residents. In spite of being relatively small in size, the Temple attracts a large number of visits by local people to pray for prosperity. In the Feast of the God Tou Tei on the 2nd day of the 2nd month in Lunar Calendar, there are lots of celebrative events and offerings, including a whole roasted pig, Cantonese opera and other entertainment, all in the hope of bringing peace and fortune to the local communities.
13.Pao Kong Temple and Temple of Divinity of Medicine
Pao Kong Temple and Temple of Divinity of Medicine were built respectively in the 15th year (1889) and 19th year (1893) of the reign of Emperor Guangxu, when mass disease outbreak hit Macao and tragically claimed the lives of too many people. In the old days, the medication services were not as advanced as nowadays, and therefore, people of the time believed that building a temple to pray could possibly heal the sick. Pao Kong Temple is dedicated to the God of Justice meanwhile the neighbouring Temple of Divinity of Medicine offers homage to sleeping Buddha, Tai Soi and other gods.
14.Statue of Dr. Sun Yat Sen (in Hospital Kiang Wu)
When revolutionary pioneer Dr. Sun Yat-sen was young, he came to Kiang Wu Hospital and became the first Chinese Western medical practitioner in Macao. Together with other foremost pioneers, Sun played an instrumental role in the overthrow of the Qing dynasty during the years leading up to the 1911 Revolution. In this first private hospital in Macao, you’ll see the bronze statue of Dr. Sun Yat-sen dressing in doctor’s gown erected in the middle of the garden in commemoration of his great deeds.
15.Fire Services Museum
The Fire Services Museum Building was built in 1920 in European style, with more than 700 exhibits in two halls occupying an area of 350 square meters. In the main hall there are Chinese and British made pumps, old British fire engines, a display showing a fireman sliding down a pole, data, historic pictures and shield, flags, diplomas, medals and badges of the brigade. There is also a mannequin dressed in a 1940’s ceremonial uniform.
The second hall shows a more face of the brigade where there are a model of the Central Operational Post, an electronic board indicating the sites of current and past fire stations, a helmet and boots, traditional Chinese hoses and nozzles, ancient fire alarms, the plaque with the word well ladders, the breathing apparatus and public fire hydrants. There is also a model simulating the effect of fire on a wooden hut.
Address : Estrada de Coelho do Amaral, no. 2 to 6, Macao
Opening Hours : Everyday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., open on public holidays.
Fees Free admission
Tel : +853 8396 0420, +853 8396 0319
16.Lin Kai Temple(Stream of Mourning Temple)
Dating from the 17th century, this temple occupies a square off Estrada do Repouso in the Patane district, where a regular flea market is held. The temple has facade with some fine granite carvings on the walls and ridgepole and large Chinese lion statues on the roof.
The main hall is dedicated to Ua Kuong, the dark-faced god who protects against fire. He is attended by Thousand-Li Eye and Favourable-Wind Ear. In one adjoining hall are goddesses associated with childbirth and rearing. Along the walls are 18 statues of goddesses with children, brightly coloured and expressive clay figures of the 60′ year’ gods. In another hall is a row of six Buddhist pusas. Kun Iam in her fringed-veil head-dress is worshipped in one of the halls where she shares an altar with a statue of Kwan Tai. A further hall is dedicated to the Monkey God, a popular character from Taoist mythology and hero of the literary epic monkey. The Lin Kai Temple supports a hospital and poor people’s home. The festival of Ua Kuong is celebrated on the 28th day of the ninth moon.
Address : No. 25 – 31 Travessa da Corda
Opening Hours : 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
17.San Kio Garden
Adjacent to San Kio playground, the Garden was also named after where it is situated – San Kio. The Garden, together with the playground, was originally an extensive square in front of the Lin Kai Temple, where customers got off their hired sedan chairs and entered the temple in the old days. It’s famous for its special spatial arrangement and traditional Chinese architectural design, such as its winding corridors and bonsai settings, which stirs up a unique antique ambience.
Opening Hours : 07:00 – 18:00
Fees : Free admission
18.Rotunda de Carlos da Maia
Better known as Three Lamps District in honour of the globe lamps that give the roundabout its romantic sparkle at night, it was named after the 105th Macao governor José Carlos da Maia. The square is of typical western architectural design with its central area a popular place for public activities and leisure. The periphery of the Rotunda is a network of five streets radiated outwards in all directions. It’s located in a popular shopping area for the locals where shops and street vendors stand along the way with all kinds of goods to entertain the crowds of shoppers. It is also famous for the mix of exotic Southeast Asian food sold in eateries run by returning overseas Chinese living in the neighbourhood. They brought back with them Burmese, Thai and Indonesian cuisines that appeal to the taste of locals and visitors.
19.General Ye Ting’s Former Residence
The late General Ye Ting, a prominent military leader and one of the pioneers for the Chinese People’s Liberation Army, had spent seven years living in Macao. In commemoration of his significant role in China’s modern history, the Macao SAR Government has carried out a series of restoration projects on Ye’s former residence in Macao since 2006, raised bronze sculpture at the front yard and installed photo exhibitions in the mansion. General Ye Ting’s Former Residence was officially opened to the public on 28 May 2014.
The two-storey, western-style mansion occupies some 180 square meters together with its front yard. Entering the Former Residence, visitors can find the mansion furnished with numerous pieces of its original furniture and home decorations from the old days. Housing a display of antique photos, General Ye Ting’s Former Residence bears witness to Ye Ting’s life in Macao with his family in the bygone years.
Address : Rua do Almirante Costa Cabral, No. 76, Macau
Opening Hours : 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Closed on Wednesdays; open on public holidays)
Fees : Free admission
Tel : +853 8399 6699
Website : www.icm.gov.mo
The above is the route to enjoy the beauty of architecture shared with everyone. Friends who like architecture can choose this route!